My Christmas Playlist

When I was a kid, my brother played guitar and bass, my father whistled better than a tea kettle, and I took voice and piano lessons. My brother and I also played the trombone in the school band, and my two sisters played clarinet. Ours was a musical household full of squawks and squeaks and hoots. I
Singing with my talented friend Dan at The Duplex in NYC
sang in choirs at school and at church and at summer camp, and I competed in the classical vocal competitions throughout junior and senior high school. My mother and I belted along to oldie standards and every showtune under the sun on the drive to and from school (she was a teacher at the school I attended). I got into NYU as an undergrad because I could sing. I worked as a professional actor touring the country, singing about children, dogs, math, and anything else I was asked to sing about. If you've eaten in a restaurant in Manhattan that had live music, there's a chance you've heard my "Mambo Italiano" or my "Come Rain or Come Shine." Singing was something I did daily, and I'm happy to say that while I no longer sing professionally, I do still sing nearly every day.

I love music. I love Christmas. Do you see where this is going?

In addition to singing, I adore listening to music. I have music playing in the background while I read. I listen to music on the subway on my way to and from work. I listen to music while I write, though sometimes that gets tricky (I apologize in advance if you wind up seeing random lyrics in my future posts).

Over the past few years, I have been compiling a Christmas playlists to destroy all Christmas playlists. That's the wrong word. Christmas is joyful and constructive. Maybe it's the playlist to cheer and encourage all other Christmas playlists. Point is, the sucker is massive. There are classics, there are carols, there are secular numbers, there are solos and chorals and orchestral arrangements. There's even Kenny G (don't judge).

I call it the Christmas Extreme Playlist, and it lives on Spotify. I add to it each year as new Christmas albums come out. Last year I added Leslie Odom, Jr.'s holiday album, which I adore and highly recommend. Currently, the list is at 1,408 songs and runs over 75 hours long. That's right. It takes more than three solid days to listen to all this Christmas music. And I'm sharing it with you!

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts